Punto Banco Card Game
Recently updated on June 24th, 2022
Punto Banco is a variation of the classic casino table game, baccarat. Its also the variation to most precisely match the gameplay of traditional baccarat, and is the most commonly played variation at online casinos today. Other popular versions of baccarat include chemin de fer and baccarat banque.
In this guide we’ll explain everything there is to know about the famed table game. Our guide is perfect for first time players who know nothing, but can also be used as a refresher manual for experienced players.
Play Punto Banco for Real Money
The Objective of The Game
The objective in this version of the game stays the same as in all other versions of baccarat. The goal is to beat the house by correctly betting on the winning hand. Winning hands in baccarat amount to totals of 9. Anything above 9 goes bust while totals just below 9 might still stand a chance depending on the total of the opposing hand.
The only major rules in the game that you need to know has to do with when its acceptable for the player and banker to draw additional cards.
Rules for the player
- If the value of your hand is between 0 and 5, you may draw an additional card.
- If the value of your hand equals 6 or 7, you cannot draw and must therefore stand.
- A hand with a value of 8 or 9 wins the game.
Rules for the banker
The circumstances around whether the banker can draw largely depends on the value of the players hand.
- The dealer may draw an additional card if his/her hand is valued between 0 and 3. In this example, it doesn’t matter what cards the player has.
- If the dealer has a 4, he may draw a third card provided that the player has cards 2 through 7.
- Similarly, if the dealer has a 5, he may draw provided that the player has cards 4 through 7.
- If the banker and player both have 6s, the banker may draw but only if the player has already drawn his/her third card.
- Bankers must stand on a total of 11, 8 or 9.
There’s no doubt that baccarat is one of the easiest casino games to play as nothing is required of the player. This is not a game of skill where you need strategy or past experience to win. You just need to bet on the right hand let the casino or dealer do the rest.
Thankfully, the game is played the same in all three main variations with the exception of a few rule differences. Here’s how punto banco differs from chemin de fer and baccarat banque.
- The rules or deciding factors that determine which hand wins remains constant throughout all three variations.
- This version of the game is most played because its so simple.
- In punto banco, your betting options include betting on the banker, player or on a tie between the two. In chemin de fer and baccarat banque you are limited to making player bets only.
- If you are playing chemin de fer at a land-based casino or live, you’ll notice that the banker will change every time the house experiences a loss.
- The most unique feature about baccarat banque is that the player bets consists of two hands, not just one.
- Punto banco is by far the most standardized version of the game which means that generic rules apply here. The game rules that apply in other versions may depend on the casino you choose to play at.
Playing punto banco is as simple as betting on the player hand, or the banker hand, thus punto banco where punto stands for “player” and banco stands for “banker”. But you also have the option of betting on a tie which makes the game more interesting.
Punto banco is equally exciting whether you are playing at an online casino or land-based casino. Some online sites offer live baccarat gaming which really brings that real-life element, making the game more thrilling. The game is played on a one-on-one basis making it a direct game between you and the dealer, not the other players. A standard baccarat table can therefore accommodate up to 12 players at a time.
Follow these easy steps to play:
- If you would like to play baccarat online, you simply log into your casino account, make a deposit and navigate your way to the games section. If you are playing at a land-based casino, you simply approach a baccarat table and signal the dealer about your intention to play. You must then lay your first bet on the table, while being mindful to not give it to him in his hand – this is against the rules.
- Now, you’re faced with the decision to bet on either the banker, player or a tie. Remember in this version of the game you aren’t obliged to only bet on the player, you have the freedom to bet on either betting options.
- If you choose to bet on the player, the dealer will move your chips to the players section of the table and if you choose to bet on the banker the dealer will move your chips to the bankers side of the table. Tie bets are usually placed in the center.
- Once all chips are in place, the dealer will accept no more bets and the cards will be drawn.
- Both sides will receive two cards each dealt face up.
- Whichever side has a total of 8 or 9, wins. This is called a natural win in baccarat. All bets are paid 1:1.
- Tie bets usually pay 8:1. If the game results in tie, nobody wins or losses.
- This signals the end of the first round, and a second round following the exact same playing order will follow.
FAQs About Punto Banco Baccarat
For the most part, yes. Punto Banco is the version of the game most played online and is a term used interchangeably with traditional baccarat.
Banco in punto banco stands for banker and represents all bets made on the banker. Likewise, punto stands for player and represents all bets made on the player.
We’ve detailed the gameplay in easy to follow steps above. But, in summary, all players begin by making a bet, which is followed by the dealing of cards and the payout of winning hands.
To beat the house and win real money it all comes down to luck and betting on the right hand at the right time. There is no concrete strategy to winning in tgis game although the James Bind strategy gives players a fair enough chance.