Can You Make A Living by Gambling?
Recently updated on October 11th, 2023
We are certain that every avid gambler has taken time to think about whether its feasible to turn their love for casino games into an actual career that pays off. This begs the question, can you make a living by gambling? The answer to this isn’t as clear as you may think because there are a lot of things that you should consider before making this bold move.
Fortunately, you’ve got us to help you find the right answers and ultimately make this decision. Below we listed a few pointers to consider before quitting your job in pursuit of gambling.
Things to Consider Before Going Pro
Firstly, we’d like to advise you against quitting your 9-5 job in pursuit of a career in gambling. Ordinary jobs may seem mundane, but they offer more security and a guaranteed income which is something gambling doesn’t. We think the most opportune time to invest into your hobby is when you are retired and looking for something to help bring in more cash on the side.
- Secondly, you must have built up enough funds to sustain you through the trying times before you commit full time. What most people fail to realize is that you need money to make money. Gambling is more about luck than anything else so winning every time is never guaranteed, and you certainly won’t be winning continuously from the get go. Turning a hobby takes a lot of time, effort and resources and if you don’t have enough of each stored up I reserve already then you won’t make it far.
- You’ve heard the saying; practice makes perfect? That idiom applies especially in this case. Mastering a casino game enough to go pro is a process that doesn’t just happen overnight – you need to practice all the time. This will take up a lot of your time but it will pay off in the end.
- Money and time management is key here. Remember, there is life and bills waiting outside of the casino so whatever you make while gambling must be able to cover all your living expenses. This will take a considerable amount of time and money management. The money you do win must be enough to cover the bills, and fund your next game or session. Don’t play yourself here.
- To be a pro player you need to hang around the right people and position yourself well. Reputation plays a vital role in your longevity and success in the industry. This means you can’t hang around beginners and expect to beat players who have been at it for years. You need to surround yourself with winners and people who are on the same level as you.
- Lastly, you must choose the right game to go pro in. From the bat, games like slots, video poker and bingo are not quite the right games if you’re hoping to go pro. You need to choose a game that requires both skill and luck where you can somewhat dictate how well you fair.
- Poker and blackjack are top picks for pro players. The poker world is especially robust and competitive as it’s the game of choice for currently pro gamblers. But, of course, the game you choose must be one you’re good at to give yourself a fair chance.