Powerball Lottery Canada 2023
Recently updated on April 1st, 2023
Powerball is one of the most played online lottery games not only in Canada but worldwide. Powerball is originally an American lottery game but is easily accessible to Canadian players either at online casinos or lottery sites. You can also play the game manually at any of the participating lottery retailers in the country.
In this guide we go through everything there is to know about playing Powerball which makes this page the perfect go-to for new and experienced lottery players. We cover:
- How to Play Powerball
- Powerball Lottery Winning Numbers
- Powerball Odds and Payouts
- Fun Facts About Powerball
Play Powerball Lottery Online
Lottery games are relatively easy to play because it requires very little skill or strategy. You just need a ton of luck and enough money to purchase a ticket. Follow the steps below to play.
- Once you’ve purchased a ticket either online or at a land-based retailer you will be faced with the decision to select your numbers. You get to choose your five lucky numbers from a total of 69, along with one additional number (also known as the Powerball number) from a separate collection of numbers from 1 – 26. You must mark your numbers down on the ticket.
- If all 6 of your numbers match the ones on the day of the draw then you will be crowned the jackpot winner.
- If you played manually you’ll know immediately if you’ve won because you will have compared your numbers in real-time during the live draw.
- If you played at an online lottery site you will be notified if you hold a winning ticket.
- Powerball draws in Canada happen every Saturday, Monday and Wednesday.
- At the time of writing, the Powerball jackpot stood at $146 million!
Powerball Power Play
The powerball power play is an optional multiplier feature that comes with the game. You simply add an additional $1 to the cost of your ticket to activate the feature. The power play feature requires no additional numbers, it simply increases how much money you’ll win should you be so lucky.
During the draw, a power-play ball will be drawn from a separate collection of numbers from 1 to 42. Each ball is marked with multipliers of x2 or x5. And, if the overall jackpot is less than $150 million for that week then an additional 10x multiplier will be added to the bunch. If you won a non-jackpot prize and you played the power play option and a multiplier ball is drawn, your prize money will be multiplied by whatever the multiplication is. Power play, however, does not apply to jackpot wins.
Winning the Powerball is simply a matter of luck so don’t beat yourself up if you don’t win money back with every ticket that you play. You win some, you lose some is the appropriate motto here. Now, a lot of players believe in the idea of lucky numbers (especially those superstitious players).
Out of all the hundred of thousands of lottery games that have been played in Canada, and the subsequent draws, there have been a few numbers that seem to reoccur. These are called hot numbers and they have been identified through a series of tests and drawing observations.
Now, we have to mention that just because these numbers have come out often in all other games, doesn’t mean that they’ll come out in your next game. That’s the unfortunate part, and it’s just how games of chance work – you just never know what’s coming next.
Nevertheless, here’s a guideline of the kind of numbers that you could play to better your chances of winning the next time you play Powerball.
32,34, 9, 24,25,19,7,16, 44,39,3
The odds of winning the jackpot are indeed very, very low. But, if its any consolation, the odds of winning some of the smaller lottery prizes is better. This is one of the great things about playing the lottery and Powerball in particular – even if you don’t win the jackpot prize, you still stand a chance to win some of the other cash prizes depending on how many numbers you match. The table below shows the winning requirement, prize, and odds of each winning combination in the game.
|Winning Combination||Cash Prize||Odds|
|Powerball +5 matching numbers||Jackpot||1 in 292,201,338|
|5 matching numbers||$ 1,000,000||1 in 11,688,054|
|Powerball + 4 matching numbers||$50, 000||1 in 913,129|
|4 matching numbers||$100||1 in 36,525|
|Powerball + 3 matching numbers||$100||1 in 14,494|
|3 matching numbers||$7||1 in 580|
|Powerball + 2 matching numbers||$7||1 in 701|
|Powerball + 1 matching number||$4||1 in 92|
|Powerball + 0 matching numbers||$4||1 in 38|
For most players, what they know about the game comes from what they see on tv or online. But, how much do you really know about what happens behind the scenes? Here are some interesting facts about the game.
- Roughly 98% of all Powerball winners take the cash option instead of the annuity payout option.
- Annuity payments are done over 30 instalments while cash payments are given as a lump sum amount.
- Lottery winnings are taxed in Canada
- If you took the annuity option and you die, the money will be left to family members.
- An average of 10 players win the jackpot prize every year.
- Jackpot prizes will be equally divided if there is more than one jackpot winner.
- The biggest prize ever won was $1.58 Billion which was split between three jackpot winners that year. Each player received $327.8 million.
- Unclaimed cash prizes usually go towards funding education or may be added to the next prize pool.
- There is no limit to how much money you can win when playing Powerball. The pool keeps growing until someone eventually wins.
Play Lottery Online
If you want to be one of those lucky players to win life changing money playing Powerball online then we’ve got just the place! Visit any of the online casinos that we list above for a shot at that much-anticipated Powerball jackpot. How easy could it be, just choose the right numbers and walk out a millionaire, right?
At our online casinos, you get to play lottery and lottery-style games like bingo and keno. But, if you want to switch it up there is a range of other casino games available to you like blackjack, roulette, baccarat, poker and slots!
Best Lottery Guides Online